Eleven Artful Ways to Handle a Snowstorm
photo by the fabulous Frances Phillips
How To Keep Creatively Cool
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.
With that in mind, facing a snowstorm is just another opportunity to put together Wow! winter wear. The city looks absolutely magical in the first hours of snowfall, why shouldn’t you? As the storm picks up, you kick it up.
Here are some tips to keep your cool while the world is freezing:
1. Knit something. My very awesome knitting circle friends from the Grantmakers in the Arts Conference in Chicago this past fall knit up some beautiful baby booties together and will be sending them to a charity to keep some little feet warm. Here’s the secret to our success.
2. Bake something. Nothing keeps you cozier than a house that is filled with the scent of homemade cookies. Nothing goes better with that nice big mug of hot chocolate.
3. Call your mother. She is probably walking around in her fuzzy slippers and would love to hear from you.
4. Adopt a snowball. Go outside, make a nice big crunchy snowball and put it in your freezer. It will make you smile when you see it in July.
5. Light a candle. I cannot think of a more poetic or romantic image than watching snow fall by candlelight. Makes your eyes glow.
6. Soak in the bathtub. Go ahead and light up some more candles before you step into a hot bubble bath. Snow days are perfect spa days at home.
7. Make a playlist. We remember special times in our lives by the music of the day. Find all of the songs that make you want to twist and shout and create a playlist that you can remember this snow day by.
8. Call a friend or two. Or three. Go ahead. Get comfortable with that cup of hot chocolate and get in touch with a friend. What is better than a little gossip to keep you nice and warm?
9. Check out the spring collections. Me, I start with shoes. Here’s a funky little shoeblog to tickle your toes.
10. Go outside. That’s right. Bundle yourself up and take a brisk walk in the snow. Enjoy this wintry experience!
11. OK, that’s enough. Brrrrr…. come back home and start from the top.
I adore winter and always pray for snow days, just like every kid in school. Have fun with this snowstorm!
Get more Wow!
If you want style notes and more for people who change the world, please check out:
Getting to Wow! to feel good, do good and look good
Nonprofit Knitwear for all things knit and nonprofit
Style Notes from me, your artspy
– Subscribe and get a little Wow! every day
– Forward the link to someone you think would be interested
– Link to a post on Twitter (follow me @hylkrakauer)
– Put a link to the blog in your Facebook status update
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help.
Word of mouth is the best way to share, don’t you agree?